The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.
What’s new in MATE 1.18
The release is focused on completing the migration to GTK3+ and adopting new technologies to replace some of deprecated components MATE Desktop 1.16 still relied on.
The headline changes in MATE Desktop 1.18 are:
- The entire MATE Desktop suite of applications and components is now GTK3+ only!
- Requires GTK+ >= 3.14.
- All GTK2+ code has been dropped including the
--with-gtk build option.
- Completed the migration to
libinput support for mouse and touchpad.
- Separate settings for handedness (left/right-handed) and motion acceleration/threshold.
- Much improved accessibility support (particularly for visually impaired users).
- Many thanks to our friends at Hypra.fr for their contribution!
- Caja adds several new features including:
- Added a copy queue and copy pausing.
- Asking confirmation before moving files to the Trash.
- Support for back/forward mouse buttons for directory navigation.
- Notification when ejected drives are safe to unplug.
- Lock screen will load the users selected background instead of the system defined default.
- MATE Panel gets several improvements, including:
- Added desktop actions support for additional launch options.
- Added StatusNotifier support.
- Added support for Menulibre menu editor, if installed it is preferred over Mozo.
- Engrampa, the archive manager, includes a number of improvements:
war to the supported types list.
- Check the rar/unrar version to the correct date is shown.
- Fixed compress rar and 7z split into volumes.
- Notifications now implement action icons support, for example playback control icons used by media players.
- Reworked the font viewer to add font browsing mode, support for TTC fonts and expose it in the menus by default.
- Replaced deprecated
upower suspend/hibernate functions with ConsoleKit2 equivalents.
- MATE Terminal adds the ability to close tabs with middle mouse button.
- Atril, the document viewer, has much improved page load times and adds support for
unarchiver used by some comics.
- Lots of deprecated GTK+ methods have been replaced and many bugs have been fixed.
- The plugin systems, and all C and Python plugins, in Eye of MATE and Pluma have been ported to
- Translations are updated. Thank you to our team of translators!
- A number of memory leaks have been plugged.
- A-n-d most exciting of all… MATE Calculator is back and has been ported to GTK3+
The various components of MATE Desktop 1.18 are available for download here: